Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Topic Photography Forum | New Upload System

Topic Information

Posts There are a total of 88 posts
Login or register to see new posts since you last visited the topic.

Bookmark / Share

Subscribe
I'll be uploading the new photo upload system later today. As its a complicated system with a lot of changes I'll keep the old one as well incase there are problems. Please use the new system unless you have any problems, then you can upload into the old system.
Please do report any issues you have at all - either via the contact form on the site, by sending me an e-mail or by posting a reply here.

All links on this site will point to the new system but they'll be a link from the new system pages to the old system, any bookmarks you have to the old system will need updating though.

The main change from the new system is the way in which rejections are handled and to allow better communication between screeners and photographers.
Photographers can add comments to the screeners with their uploads.
Any rejections will get put into an "awaiting your response" category where you will have the option to re-upload a modified version of the image (without entering all the data again) or delete the photo entirely.
The progress bar uploads has been removed for the time being due to a few errors seemingly happening and may return if there is demand for it in future.
Quote | Reply | Top of Page
Just uploaded 3 photos but i can't see them on my screener page.
Think you might be looking at the old screening page, take a look at the post in the screeners forum - theres 3 of your shots on the new page.
I've just uploaded 2 pictures and both times my IE went crazy; error messages saying that it needed to close etc. But they did upload.
Thnx Dan , New page looks great .
Quote Quoting Pole Hill Sid, from a previous post

I've just uploaded 2 pictures and both times my IE went crazy; error messages saying that it needed to close etc. But they did upload.

Isn't that what always happens with IE? happy

Which version of IE are you using? Do you get any specific error messages or is it just the general "Internet Explorer needs to close" type message?
IE 8.

Just the general message. Dne it again today when I clicked view photos awaiting screening.
Hi,

I have a problem with uploading pics today. I am able to fill all info required and choose a file. When I click upload button i get HTTP 500 error. I tried on both Google Chrome and IE8. It worked fine yesterday.
Just tried to uploada photo now. Still getting error messages, but no actual upload this time. Tried twice too.
been trying to upload pics all day intel mac /safari/opera when i hit upload button i just get white screen ok yesterday ???
There has been a number of errors generated this past hour (all usernames above) and this problem should now be resolved - please try again now. Still looking into the IE 8 issue though shouldn't be any problems in Firefox / Chrome or IE 9 - please let me know if there are.
Thx Dan. Works fine with chrome now.
Pole Hill
Installed IE8 on a computer and tried it. Only error I could get was in relation to changing tabs, this has now been fixed.
Can you do a full refresh on the upload page "ctr refresh" and give it a try.

Let me know if not I'll dig further.
This post was edited on Monday 22nd August, 2011 at 22:29 GMT
I've downloaded Chrome. All seems fine with that. May convert. But still had the same errors with IE.
I'll have a quick look later see if I can find anything else, although nothing immediately springs to mind.

Better in my experience to use a different browser, Firefox is my favourite but Chrome isn't bad either.

If anyone else has issue with IE please let me know.

Dan
still not working for intel mac /safari /snow leopard, downloaded camino browser this works ok guess it must be a safari problem
bluechalk - What error messages are you getting and when? Is it when pressing the upload button or at some other point on the page?
Just downloaded Safari on windows and it appears fine, unfortunately I haven't got access to a Mac at all to try anything on there.

Still looking in to the IE one.
successfully uploaded some photos today. however got error message on one, although upload successful. couldn't find Fairey Swordfish in drop down menu, so loaded as multiple or no aircraft.
rgds john
Quote Quoting Low Level Pilot, from a previous post

however got error message on one

What did the error message say on the error you got? Did get a new aircraft added as Fairey Swordfish MkII - I'll sort that out before we screen it.
dan. screen freezes after hitting upload button and occasionaly i get a blank white screen but i think it may be a problem with safari i will repair permissions later today and retry
tried again this morning seems to be loading ok on mac
Hi Dan,

Two observations I have noted today when using the following:

Browser - Opera 11.50 - Build 1072 - Platform Win32
OS - Vista SP1 - 64-bit

- Date box - didn't work until 3rd photo upload
- "Select All" link for the EXIF data didn't work. Only pre-populated after manually checking all boxes
Boeing777236ER - The two errors you describe may just be down to your browser caching an old version of the javascript until the 3rd attempt. Without getting too technical please let me know if this happens again as I suspect it should be OK from now on.

I uploaded a few fixes over teh course of the week. If anyone experiences issues from now on please let me know.
Sorry for the delay in replying, still getting to know this site.
Error msg was just (I think) a general error message to say no aircraft selected.
I did try to add the aircraft to the list, but to no avail, so far as I could see.
Ah OK, thats more of a warning than an error message there to prevent photographers uploading shots without selecting an aircraft and is supposed to happen if it is on "multiple / no aircraft".
The Add Aircraft should now work as a fix for that was added earlier in the week. The "Fairey Swordfish" did add successfully and that has now also been resolved.
Hi Dan,

I cleared cache in Opera & tried again. The issue does seem to persist. This might be a browser quirk with the JavaScript.
Hi Dan

Today I wanted to upload a photo of an airport that is not listed, place all airport data. And I went up the photo, says he has been an error. But this only happened to me up this photo, I uploaded several photos and have not had any problems.

Best Regards
I don't know if the "Average screening time" shown on the upload page is supposed to change automatically (depending on the number of photos remaining to be screened?), but it hasn't moved from "1 day, 6 hours" over the past couple of days, this despite the number of pics in the screening queue having increased threefold. Indeed, some of my own shots have been in the queue for almost 48 hours. Personally, I don't have a problem in this latter respect, but, if you are trying to manage people's expectations, then the "Average screening time" probably need to be fine-tuned so that it updates on a (more) regular basis.
The penny has dropped! "Average screening time" isn't the same as "Anticipated screening time". Apologies! That said, it would still be quite elegant (for want of a better expression!) if there was some way of devising a formula that could extrapolate the relationship between the number of photos in the screening queue and the average screening time to produce an "Anticipated screening time".
Adding photos with an airport not in the pulldown list now works - looks like a few people have been having issues with this as reported by Andres above. Also please do not use the add new airport to add 3 letter codes for existing airports - use the "quick select" above to select the airport in the pulldown list.

Boeing777236ER - Still looking in to the javascript issues should get around to it over the next couple of weeks.

The "average screening time" is based on the difference between the upload time and screening time of the last 30 photos, there won't be a lot of change at quiet screening times. A "anticipated screening time" would be very useful but trying to figure out how to get this is virtually impossible. Any ideas then let me know, but I may reduce the number of shots used for the average time so that it updates more often and gives a better figure.
Hi.
Ive just uploaded a few images using the new form which went fine, but when i reviewed them from the 'awaiting screening' page the colurs are all off i.e. nothing like the originals.
Not sure if this is an issue with the site or at my end?
Hi Dan. Although mine is admittedly nothing to write home about, I notice that the 'Acceptance Ratio' no longer automatically updates on the 'Top Photographers' page. Is this still part of your 'work in progress'?
Yep, this ties in the the stats being incorrect as its still using the old system, hopefully get this sorted over the next couple of weeks.
I have some uploads waiting for 4 days now. Not a problem if the screeners are busy - just wanted to make sure the new uploads hasn't misplaced them etc as it's the first time I've used it.

Dean
There have been a couple of days this week when no photos have been uploaded onto the site - which is quite unusual. I can only assume that the screeners must be busy doing other things.
Hi Dan,

I've just submitted my first photo, on this or any other site, for screening. It was rejected for poor cropping. On the Awaiting your response screen I was offered the option to resubmit or delete. It's not clear which order to proceed in and I deleted the photo first. This does not allow me to resubmit my photo again so I have had to resubmit as a new photo with a note to the screeners. Don't know if it will now be accepted or not.

Perhaps it's just me but it could be a bit clearer.
Hi

Good morning,
report a problem I have, I put some photos on the 26th and November 30th, some of which have been verified laid down last December 5, but these are still in queue. I also noticed that since late last month, often can not get up-load and have to repeat. I've only had changed the computer, but got the same error.

Thanks

Luis
Dan,

I've just loaded up a handful and the watermark seems to have not gone where I asked it to go, which is odd! The only one that did work was the centre-positioned one, the rest being 3/4 down, not 1/3 down!

Am using Firefox 9.0.1 if that's any help?

Cheers,
Tim
Hello Dan, I have some photos on hold since January 17 and January 19 are all new records and two of these Delivery flights, there is a problem?
I thank
Luis Vaz
guys, im trying to upload, i put in the adress to the photo, but it wont upload? it says wrong format, thiugh it is jpg?
Did you check your aspect ratio?
what do you mean?
Does it already you can put pictures of family? I've seen where the plane is secondary.
Firstly, a hobby like aviation and usually give all the information possible, my pictures have almost all the data and the location of the machine, I put new locations of spotting, but since January that none appears.
I've been rejected for being similar pictures, one with the airplane to the right side and one for the left, okay, I do not dispute the decision of screnners. Just do not understand how others are approved is one that almost any other crop, see the A6-ADR, which in reality are EXCELLENT.

Luis Vaz
Quote Quoting luiscvaz, from a previous post

I put new locations of spotting, but since January that none appears.

Unfortunately, for a variety of technical reasons, we are not currently in a position to update any of the photo-related databases - although it is something that the IT guys are working on and will try to fix ASAP (once we finally succeed in tracking down Dan's elusive SSH Key!).
HI I am new to this site and every time i try to upload a picture and input all the information it tells me that the image needs to be of a JPG FORMAT how ever all my pictures are of JPEG FORMAT and i have been told these are the same and should upload but this isnt happening can any help with this please or explain how i can change the format if this is possible

thanks chris
I have the same problem as above.
Some programmes (and websites) only recognise three letter file extensions. Try renaming the file containing the image you want to upload (from xxxx.jpeg to xxxx.jpg) and see if this makes any difference.
This post was edited on Sunday 5th August, 2012 at 20:38 GMT
Thanks for your reply, but my photos have .JPG as the extension & I've also tried lower case too. Just tried again & still not getting anywhere. I've also tried saving the file again making sure the file was indeed a JPG. It's now not even coming up with an error making me think it has uploaded but the image is not showing in my "awaiting screening" area.
I've had the same problem on a couple of occasions, but it sorted itself out fairly quickly without me having to take any remedial action. Just as a matter of interest, what size are your images (pixels x pixels)?
Sorry for the late reply. The image I was trying to upload was 4847 x 3232. Too big?
Just a little ;) should be 1024x736 (roughly)
We have minimum and maximum photo sizes when uploading pictures. Our minimum size is 980 pixels over the longest side (width if it's a landscape picture, height if it's a portrait picture). Our maximum size is 1600 pixels. I usually like to upload at about 1200 pixels, as most people tend to use a monitor with a resolution of about this size. However, you may want to plan for future higher resolution displays and upload slightly larger.
Ah well that explains it big grin Thought I'd have to upload large sizes for some reason. I'll try again. Thanks for your help!
Tried one photos, Firt had a server error and then says format is invalid and only accepts JPG format.... They are JPEGS Tut!
What size is the image that you're trying to upload?
Quote Quoting whizzyfinger, from a previous post

First had a server error and then says format is invalid and only accepts JPG format

I've now got the same problem and can't seem to fix it. I've even tried re-uploading some pics that have already been through the screening process and they're being rejected by the server as well. Is anyone else struggling to upload their pics?
Hi,
I also have been trying to upload pics and I am getting `Invalid File Format`. But the image is JPEG....???
I think that we are lucky as P-M users in that these problems dont seem to happen much.
There does seem to be something wrong though.....hope it can be sorted.
Stu
Quote Quoting Stuntnuts, from a previous post

hope it can be sorted.

You and me both! The IT guys are working on it. It may be something to do with the AWS server on which the photos are stored. Let me know if things sort themselves out at your end, so to speak!
Hi,
Yep,also my rejected photos do not show up in `Photos Awaiting Your Response` so I have to re-upload as a new attempt. I don`t think is meant to be done and should instead be done as a re-upload not a first time attempt.
Ive just joined and ive tried to upload a couple images but i wont let me and keeps saying you need to upload JPEG file only but i looked on the properties on the picture and its a JPEG can anyone help?
Quote Quoting Global_5000, from a previous post

Ive just joined and ive tried to upload a couple images but i wont let me and keeps saying you need to upload JPEG file only but i looked on the properties on the picture and its a JPEG can anyone help?

Please refer to the latest thread in the 'Site-Related' Forum.
Tender website today, I uploaded fine yesterday. Today I try to upload image in a jpg format, and I get the error "The image you tried to upload is in an invalid format. All images should be in JPG format."

My image is only 1500 x 1000 total file size less than 900Kb

Rather annoying - especially as then all the boxes are reset to nothing.

Will try again later...hmmmmmmmmm

Steve
Steve, it's not the size of the image that's causing the problem - or, indeed, anything else that you're doing at your end (so to speak!). For some reason, the photo upload system experiences a 'glitch' every 4-5 days, which then takes anywhere between 12-48 hours to resolve itself. The IT guys are trying to get to the bottom of it, but because it only happens intermittently, they are struggling to find the root cause. Hopefully, normal service will be resumed shortly.
I notice the issue seems to be when there are only a few pix in the queue, today it's happening at 2.
Quote Quoting deanmemory, from a previous post

I notice the issue seems to be when there are only a few pix in the queue, today it's happening at 2.

I initially thought it only happened when the queue had been totally cleared and there were no more photos left to screen. Hence, the reason why asked the screeners to make certain that they always leave one or two pics in the queue. Perhaps we need to think again and increase that to a minimum of, say, ten images.
Hello,
The screening seems to have come to a halt. 4 days and no show, when uploaded there was 2 pics waiting to be screened and 1 day 17 hours to wait. Can not upload anything now.
There are currently two photos left in the screening queue, one of which is yours. A discussion is taking place between the screeners as regards whether or not to accept your pic. For the record, my own view is that it should be rejected, but I am willing to go with the majority vote.

In the meantime, as you have discovered for yourself, there is currently a 'glitch' with the photo upload system. If previous experience is anything to go by, this should (hopefully) resolve itself within the next 24-48 hours.
Thanks Baltimore for your reply, if the image is not good enough please 'bin' it, its a great site and the quality should be kept up, Cheers.
As predicted, the photo upload system is now working again. happy
Gents,

It's still happening isn't it? I haven't uploaded anything for a while and have now tried 3/4 times in the last 48 hours and have got the 'invalid JPEG' response everytime. It's not just me is it?

Gary
No Gary, it isn't just you. The upload system is not working properly at present. It functions normally about 50 per cent of the time and then goes AWOL again.

Without going into too much detail, when Dan Hill, P-M's founder, passed away earlier this year, he took with him the details of his SSH key. We, therefore, only have limited access to the 'guts' of the website and are thus somewhat hamstrung in terms of how much we can do to rectify issues of this sort. For the time being, I can only suugest that you keep an eye on the number of photos in the screening queue and upload your photos when the opportunity presents itself.
Hi
Quote Quoting gary1701, from a previous post

It's still happening isn't it? I haven't uploaded anything for a while and have now tried 3/4 times in the last 48 hours and have got the 'invalid JPEG' response everytime. It's not just me is it?

I also have a problem with it.
Quote Quoting zicherka, from a previous post

I also have a problem with it.

Yes, I'm afraid it affects everyone.
The photo upload system appears to be functioning again - so strike while the iron is hot (or something like that)!
Hi,

Still not working here. I think I'll probably leave it a few days again.

Gary
Hello,
Have tried every which way to upload same as everyone else, but no go.
I apologise but I have only just read of the sad passing of Dan, my condolence's to his family and friends.
I have read on the forum the news of the sudden death of Dan, I want to extend to the family my deepest condolences.
Hello,
I see 2013 uploads but unable to do so myself although they are JPEG, can you help please.
Cheers,
Martin.
Quote Quoting flyer1, from a previous post

I see 2013 uploads but unable to do so myself although they are JPEG, can you help please.

For some reason (don't ask me why, 'cos I don't know the answer!), Sunday seems to be the best day for uploading pics.
I will try every day and sunday, thanks for the info.
Cheers.
Quote Quoting flyer1, from a previous post

I will try every day and sunday, thanks for the info.

Sunday (and sometimes Monday morning) is the ONLY time worth trying. The upload system seems to have developed a mind of its own and goes AWOL from Monday to Saturday (inclusive)!
Hello,
I have uploaded an image which has made it to the Q, I have found that if you do 'not' change the name of the pic but leave it as it has been numbered by the camera it seems to work, I will try again later.
Cheers,
Martin.
Just got a few in for their first go around, but I can definitely say it isn't changing the name of the pic that causes rejection...
Just tried uploading a JPG picture and says The image you tried to upload is in an invalid format. All images should be in JPG format but my file is IMG_1427.JPG so can anyone help?
The upload system seems to have developed a mind of its own and goes AWOL from Monday to Saturday (inclusive)! Sunday (and sometimes Monday morning) is the ONLY time worth trying. If you attempt to upload pics at any other time, you will keep on getting the same error message.
Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Add Photos Upload Your Photos!

Quick Uploading
Our upload form allows you to fill in the aircraft data while your photo uploads in the background making it what we believe to be the quickest aviation photo upload form on the net.

We even give you a progress bar showing how long until your photo is uploaded!

Quick Screening
We screen most photos within 24 hours.
Any rejections are always given comments detailing the reasons.

Join our growing list of photographers and upload your shots to Plane Mad.

Rate Us Rate Us On

Best Aviation Sites
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com
TOP 100 AVIATION SITES
Please Wait Please Wait - Loading
Close
Close

Login

Username:

Password:

Remember Me:

Remember me on this computer

Forgotten your password? Get a reset password sent to your registered e-mail address

Close

User Private Message

Subject: