Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Topic Photography Forum | Over-sharpened

Topic Information

Posts There are a total of 7 posts
Login or register to see new posts since you last visited the topic.

Bookmark / Share

Subscribe
Can somebody please tell me where the 'jaggies' are on this photo, 'cos I can't seem to find them for love nor money!
http://screening-photos.plane-mad.com/26451/2/main.jpg
Quote | Reply | Top of Page
Hi Baltimore,

That looks okay to my way of thinking. Long horizontal 'cheat' lines can be a real pain for sharpening, espically if they run at a slight angle, but that looks as good as you'll get, without going to extremes under or over. Granted, I haven't been around PM long enough to quite know what the site's approach is, as all these upload sites have their own ideas, but if I had that knocked back for 'over-sharpened' I'd be slighly bemused as well. I'm not the sort to get wound up over photo rejections, but have had a strange rejection myself concerning rotor blades on helos which goes against what I assumed was pretty much accepted practise, and have been thinking over how to approach it in the forum myself now for a few days.

Gary
Quote Quoting gary1701, from a previous post

Long horizontal 'cheat' lines can be a real pain for sharpening, espically if they run at a slight angle

These days (i.e. since I adopted your suggested sharpening techniques), it nearly always seems to be the Ryanair B738's that catch me out! That 'cheat' line is, as you suggest, a right pain in the backside, as are the 'flying harp' logos on the nose and tail.

I'm not the sort to get wound up over photo rejections

I used to, but not any more. In this particular instance, I genuinely couldn't spot the 'jaggies'. Hence, the reason for my forum post.

have been thinking over how to approach it in the forum

Go for it! If you think the screeners have got it wrong, this is the place to raise it. After all, they're only human and screening is, by its very nature, subjective. As long as your approach is polite and unconfrontational (and you strike me as the sort of person that wouldn't dream of being impolite or confrontational!), you'll find that you'll be given a fair hearing.
I'd say it's round the rear lettering/Reg and the trailing edge of wing
Hi again,

Have you had any luck with it yet? I will put together my issue as well, as I try and be careful and stick to reasoning and facts, so we'll see!

Gary

Have you had any luck with it yet?

Yes, I did as upsmd11 suggested and reduced the amount of sharpening around the lettering, reg. and trailing edge of the wing, as a result of which the pic has now been accepted! My faith in the screeners has been restored - only kidding guys, you're doing a grand job!
This post was edited on Thursday 25th October, 2012 at 18:54 GMT
Slight variation on this theme. I've just had 2 over sharpened rejects. They were shot almost full frame on my 5d mkiii. I've cropped to get the plane full frame size but not applied any sharpening - they are just the 5d's jpg sharpening applied in camera. I can see that around the edges of the plane and in particular the wheels there may just be some fringing. However they were taken against a pure blue cloudless sky so are rather heavy on contrast.

I guess I can try using my raw copy and don't sharpen very much before opening them in .jpg to crop.

2nd option which get round having the artefacts is to make them 1600 x 1066 but then they go over 1 meg file size but the fringing dissapears.

Any thoughts ?

Posted Photo
Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Add Photos Upload Your Photos!

Quick Uploading
Our upload form allows you to fill in the aircraft data while your photo uploads in the background making it what we believe to be the quickest aviation photo upload form on the net.

We even give you a progress bar showing how long until your photo is uploaded!

Quick Screening
We screen most photos within 24 hours.
Any rejections are always given comments detailing the reasons.

Join our growing list of photographers and upload your shots to Plane Mad.

Rate Us Rate Us On

Best Aviation Sites
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com
TOP 100 AVIATION SITES
Please Wait Please Wait - Loading
Close
Close

Login

Username:

Password:

Remember Me:

Remember me on this computer

Forgotten your password? Get a reset password sent to your registered e-mail address

Close

User Private Message

Subject: