Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Topic Photography Forum | Schipol, Wednesday 5th June 2013

Topic Information

Posts There are a total of 5 posts
Login or register to see new posts since you last visited the topic.

Bookmark / Share

Subscribe
This post was edited on Friday 7th June, 2013 at 11:05 GMT
Hi,
Had a cracking day at Schipol on Weds, only did the obsevation platform, but got some nice ones all the same. Heat haze made photographiing the far stuff rahter awkward, and we only got a few freighters, but you cant have everything!!

Posted Photo
MD-11 PH-KCK Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B737 PH-BXA Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
A319 JY-AYL Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13-1 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
A319 G-EZGB Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B777 PH-BVD Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B777 B-2080 Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B767 PH-OYI Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13-1 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B737 YR-BGG Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
A320 EC-LVP Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B737 OK-TVX Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

Posted Photo
B747 PH-CKA Amsterdam Schipol 05.06.13 by jonf45, on Flickr

loads more in flickr site for anyone interested happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonf45sphotos/

Cheers
Jon
Quote | Reply | Top of Page
Great photos Jon thanks
Yes i agree that observation point is a great area.Thanks for share.
This post was edited on Saturday 8th June, 2013 at 21:36 GMT
Great shots and it seems you got a fine selection of retro paint schemes that day too Jonathan. One thing though, Schiphol is written with two H's. The name consists of two parts: Schip = ship and hol = hull. Before the land being reclamed with lowering the water level with almost 6 metres, the site was below the surface of Oude Meer (Old Lake). Archaeological excavations on the airport site have revealed old wooden ship hulls buried in the mud. Looking at the map of the area there is a lot of references to what used to be like Aalsmeer = eel lake and the name Oude Meer is still used about an area just to the south of runway 18L/36R. The name given to the last built runway (18R/36L) "Polderbaan" points to it being a reclamed land area - a polder. There is map showing how the area looked like around 1640 in this web page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haarlem_Lake

My favorite spot at Schiphol is sadly no more - it was the spot on the southside of the Kaagbaan (runway 04/24) close to the cargo apron. I remember once an Antonov An-22 Antei taxiing past us on to the cargo apron and the next days I could hear the dial tone constantly. These days the new spotter area to the west of Polderbaan is the best place around Schiphol, but as for all spots around the airport except for the roof terrace you need either a car or as the Dutch prefer to use, the bike, to get there. If you limit yourself only to the roof terrace there is another must, and it is the Dakota's Restaurant, Cafe & Bar with its forties and fifties atmosphere and of course the Dakota at Schiphol as a theme - and the food is pretty good provided you enjoy it together ice cold beer and an oude genever or three.
Thanks for the comments guys happy

Not sure what happened with the spelling, as when i put them onto flickr i spelt it correctly, but the original file names are missing a "H"!!

Really want to go back and check out some of those other locations ;)
Error

You need to be logged in to post messages in our forums.

Please login or if you do not have an account then you can register an account for free.

Add Photos Upload Your Photos!

Quick Uploading
Our upload form allows you to fill in the aircraft data while your photo uploads in the background making it what we believe to be the quickest aviation photo upload form on the net.

We even give you a progress bar showing how long until your photo is uploaded!

Quick Screening
We screen most photos within 24 hours.
Any rejections are always given comments detailing the reasons.

Join our growing list of photographers and upload your shots to Plane Mad.

Rate Us Rate Us On

Best Aviation Sites
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com
TOP 100 AVIATION SITES
Please Wait Please Wait - Loading
Close
Close

Login

Username:

Password:

Remember Me:

Remember me on this computer

Forgotten your password? Get a reset password sent to your registered e-mail address

Close

User Private Message

Subject: